Thursday, September 15, 2005

reminders of home


it's amazing how certain places, food, people, music, atmosphere can remind me of a place that i probably would identify most as "home". Last night i was with two girls, (1 american, 1 taiwanese who has stayed in the US for a short period of time) shopping at this supermarket called "liberty". they sell a lot of food from the US or AU. it was so funny that we were wooing and wowing over things that u can find usually in other supermarkets here. seeing these things reminded me of home.


and a moment ago, it felt even more so. strange as it might sound, i was at the US embassy adding pages to my passport. (or maybe not so strange now that i think of it) somehow the smell, and the architecture, the tight security??? the fountain, the clerk, not all familiar since i've never been there b4, yet gave me that few minutes of a sense of "home".

maybe it's mom's and mei's attacks of "come home"s lately, plus my serious consideration and dissucussious with diff ppl over this, it is getting to me a little. yet i know clearly that my place is to be here and do all the things that God wants me to do here. most people leave their homes because they want a better life, higher degrees, more opportunities, more freedom, more spaces. but this group of people who call themselves missionaries are diff. it's a high calling with high ideals... a sure ideal, too... :P there are many many testimonies of such men and women...

Jesus's call to follow Him has a high price to pay--family, friends, familiar surroundings, home... well, call me an idealist then. the reward is far greater, eternal...

No comments: